Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer Jammin'

Well, today was the first day in this year's self-imposed exercise of forcing my sister into the kitchen. I gently, but forcibly, push her into doing things she never would do because she needs it. She is always thinking she can't cook or doesn't enjoy cooking, but I know better. Down deep she really does like it (love will come, I am sure!) because I have seen it in her eyes. Anyway, today's task was to start on this year's jam/jelly making for the fair.

The day started out well enough. She first made Festive CranStrawberry Jam. We did have to scrounge around for some cranberries in July, but we were able to find some in the deep, frozen wasteland known as the bottom of the freezer! I thought it would be a very pretty jam and it turned out very well. It was also very tasty!! (We always have to sample the goods!)

Secondly, she took a turn at Spiced Plum Butter. It was her first fruit butter and I thought she did pretty good with it. She is a bit slow with the slicing and dicing, but she adamantly refused my help! After cooking the fruit, it was time to pulse it in the food processor. Never has her food processor received such a workout! After the fruit was smooth and it was time to pour, we quickly found out that the processor bowl was a little too full. After some quick maneuvering and slightly burnt fingertips (mine!), we managed to get it into the pot for cooking. Since I have only made a fruit butter once before and am still in the learning stage with that wonderful spread, we managed to overcook it slightly, and it was a bit sticky. But it still tasted good! Next time, we will know how long to let it stew into a spreadable, edible delight.

After that, I was able to help her a bit with the processing of the third one--Orange-Peach Butter. (Yes, another butter!) This recipe, however, told us the length of time to cook it. I did find out that she is a better peeler than I am. Who knew? I helped a bit with the oranges, but she did most of the work again. After it was cooked, she ladled it into the jars. I was helping her with the lids and while trying to pry one off a new jar, it flew through the air and landed in a pot of grease that was waiting to be thrown out! I quickly rescued it from it's oily resting place and immediately gave it a hot, soapy bath before placing it on it's prospective jar. This time, we cooked it just right and the color and taste of this butter is absolutely wonderful!

Our final one for the day was Blueberry Jam. It was pretty straightforward for a jam--blueberries and sugar and pectin, cook, jar, bathe. She did have a slightly difficult time finding something to mash the fruit, but she ended up doing fairly well with one of those wire potato mashers. After cooking the jam, she jarred it, put the lids on, and gave it a water bath pretty much by herself. It was time for me to leave and I knew she could handle the job.

All in all, she did well today. In a few more days, we will have round two to finish up the rest of the recipes I have planned for her to make. We might even try another round of Spice Plum Butter!

Until next time, have a "jammin'" time!

2 comments:

Kellie said...

LOL!!! Yes, it was a "jammin'" time. I am still proud of the fact I can trim off peeling better than you. hee hee :) Getting my mind ready for the next adventure.....

Sal Cartusciello said...

I can attest to the CranStrawberry being very tasty.