Thursday, July 30, 2009

No Sir

The older I become, the less I am inclined to require the use of the word sir when directed towards me by a person past a certain age (usually around high school graduation). I'm not really sure of the reason. Maybe it's the fact that I am still single and am not in a position of high authority at work. Or it could be that it makes me think I am older than I feel. Whatever the reason, I tend to cringe when I hear that word aimed in my direction.

I prefer such words as friend, buddy, dude, or even son (most often heard from people from the Sanford area). To me, these words convey just as much respect as sir. Of course, the tone of the speaker also has a lot do to with the meaning, and one can still be disrespectful using sir.

I still use sir myself when I talk to someone of authority or someone who is a lot older than I am, but my personal preference for myself is what I would call casual. I don't like being fake or "putting on airs" and using sir in reference to me makes me feel like someone I'm not.

Does that sound crazy? Maybe so. But it's who I am.

No comments: