Sunday, July 5, 2009

Forget-me-not


Forget-me-nots (Myosotis) are species of flowering plants in the borage family. They are usually a beautiful blue color but sometimes come in white or pink. Their unusual common name is the subject of two legends. One German legend has it that the original plant cried out to God "forget me not, O Lord" and God said that shall be your name. Another legend tells of the time when Adam and Eve were leaving the Garden of Eden and the little plant cried out for them to "forget me not!". As I was listening to the sermon this morning, I thought about these plants and how it should apply to us.

American today has largely forgotten God. No more are we a nation that has God at the forefront of our collective thoughts. We marginalize Him to the outermost edges everyday by not thanking Him as we should, rewriting Him out of our history, demanding "separation of church and state", not teaching Creation in the schools, and going about our daily lives as if He doesn't even exist. While America hasn't yet gone the way of the pagan nations of the past, if something doesn't change, we will certainly be among them. It is certainly a shame that a country that started with such promise would be reduced to ashes and ruins by forgetting the very God that allowed her to be as great as she is.

America, in general, needs to forget her forgetfulness and return to God in a broken-hearted spirit and humbly beg His forgiveness. If not, I fear what will happen to this great nation I call home. It is deeply troubling and saddening to see it in this state of decay. May we all turn from out pridefull sin and fall on our knees before His Majesty and seek His will for our nation before it's eternally too late.

Judges 10:11-14
And the LORD said unto the children of Israel,
Did not I deliver you from the Egyptians, and
from the Amorites, from the children of Ammon,
and from the Philistines? The Zidonians also,
and the Amalekites, and the Moabites did oppress
you; and ye cried to me, and I delivered you out
of their hand. Yet ye have forsaken me, and have
served other gods; wherefore I will deliver you no more.
Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let
them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.

Let's pray that a time such as that will never come to America. God will hear our prayers and will see our humbleness. Let's do it before it's too late

1 comment: