Friday, July 17, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Everybody wants a little ree-ree-ree-respect (just a little bit...just a little bit). But not everyone deserves it. In my humble opinion, respect must be earned. Just because one is in a lofty position, doesn't mean that he or she should get the respect that the position should afford them. There have been some recent politicians that have exhibited many actions that lessened their respect level in my eyes. A former president let his wondering eye lead him into a sordid tryst in the Oval Office of all places! And several other people that should be acting in a manner deserving of respect throw that responsibility out the window for cheap thrills or a bigger ego. Such is the case for the idea for this post.

A upper-level manager at work has a bad case of the "look-at-me-because-I'm-important" syndrome. Several of the women that have worked there longer than me told me that they trained him several years ago. Everytime he walks in the room, he expects people to gaze upon his well-formed body and shiny, bald head. I ignore him.

One of the characteristics of people that annoy me the most is a stuck-on-myself attitude. It's boring, trite, and downright rude. No one should feel that he or she is better than anyone else because of position, fame, money, or anything else. When those feelings start showing up in an individual, my respect for them starts plummeting.

Yesterday, this particular individual left me a voicemail while I was at lunch for me to return his call. His message was the fourth of four and I was taking them in order when I returned. Before I could return his call, he called my manager and asked him the same question he was asking me. My manager immediately turned into a sycophant and about broke his neck to accomplish the requested task. He was stumbling all over the place and couldn't have my co-worker look up the part and deliver it fast enough! The higher-up had the audacity to ask us to deliver it to the next building. I am sure he was busy saving the world. Of course, I had to make my feelings known. My manager just rolled his eyes at me and gave me a "shut-your-trap-because-we-need-to-stroke-his-ego-so-he-will-think-better-of-us" look. I grudgingly relented, but what little respect I had for the "egomeister" lessened a great deal.

In short, just because one is in a higher position doesn't mean he deserves the respect of that position. Respect must be earned and maintained. Let us all try to earn respect in a manner that benefits all of mankind.

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I am singing "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" right now. You are right, though... respect has to be EARNED. Those kinds of people are everywhere and they are annoying. One day they will have that chip taken off their shoulder.

Anonymous said...

May I respectfully disagree? I'm starting to realize many of the reasons people act lousy. Often it stems from being deeply hurt. If respect, compassion & kindness is witheld from this jerk, won't he be pushed to demand more attention? Sometimes a drama queen gladly abdicates once you've made a habit of showing her you've heard her. Try giving respect before it's deserved.