Friday, July 24, 2009

Dogs

In my last post, I discussed my love for cats and expounded a bit on the reasons why. I ended with a line from the musical Cats that summed up my feelings. In this post, I will now expound on the reasons why I don't care for dogs. It's not that I absolutely hate dogs nor wish them harm, but, for me, dogs are a little lower on the pet chain.

Dogs have been considered "man's best friend" for many, many years. They are seen as faithful, trusting, playful, and reliable. These traits are all wonderful and are very nice to have in a pet, but when I look at dogs, I see a tame wolf that hasn't grown up. Yes, that's right. They are wolf cubs in an adult body. Now before anyone gets their dander up, I am speaking of dogs in general and not intentionally maligning any one's beloved pet.

When man began the process of domesticating dogs, he chose to keep certain cub-like characteristics and the result was a neotenic animal. Below are some of the youthful traits that are seen in dogs:

1) Subservient to humans--cubs and young adult wolves are always subservient to the alpha male and female wolves in a pack.

2) Playful--adult dogs are still very playful when compared to adult wolves.

3) Very vocal--adult wolves do not vocalize very often.

4) Retention of cub-like physical features--soft fur, large heads, floppy ears.

With these traits in mind, I see dogs as immature, noisy, clumsy creatures that can in no way be compared to the mature, quiet, agile cat. Who wants to always contend with childish behavior when one can have a pet that acts its age?


Certainly not me!!

No comments: