Friday, June 25, 2010

Teaching How to Fish

I try to live my life by the old Chinese proverb

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

At first glance, most people automatically think about the destitute and starving and how that can be a way to help their fellow man. But I apply it in more ways than just feeding the hungry. In fact, I use it for everything in life.

Most people nowadays want everything spoon-fed to them, handed to them on a silver platter, and coming completely assembled. According to them, they don't know where to look, don't know how to do it, have no idea where to look, or a myriad of other excuses for not doing something themselves. When I encounter such attitudes (which is frequently), I try to show them how to figure out their problem or how to search for the answer. I don't just hand the answer over easily. No one would ever learn if he or she is always given the answer straight out.

Not all people are fond of this method, but it doesn't bother me. I can see the look in their eyes or hear the tone in their voices when I refuse to satisfy their craving for an easy answer. But the attitudes don't affect me at all. I just keep right on teaching them. Some are thankful; others grumble and keep asking the same questions instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to learn.

The learners will grow from the learning and will then be able to disseminate their new-found knowledge to someone else.

The grumblers will stagnate in their own ignorance and will be reduced to nothing more than ignorant knowledge-beggars that suck the life of all those around them.

In the end, they are only hurting themselves.