Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Expecting

I have high expectations for people. It was how I was reared. If you lower your expectations, people will meet them with gusto and you will be surrounded with mediocrity or, worse, downright stupidity. People should rise to the challenge of each others reasonable expectations and not settle for the quagmire of "middleness" that permeates our society.

My manager is constantly telling me that I am "expecting" again and that I shouldn't expect anything from people other than what I get from them, which is not much. I counter with the above argument while he cackles at my facial expressions, flailing arm movements, and commentary outbursts about how people are not rising to the challenge.

Is it too much to expect people to...

use the gray matter between their ears?

act courteously and without demands even when life isn't going as they planned or wanted?

listen the first time and not repeat the same question over and over and over again?

not act like a 2-year old pitching a fit on the floor and sounding like two toms fighting over a potential mate when told something they don't like?

actually pay attention to what they are doing and therefore eliminate the need to do things over again?

think about their actions and the potential consequences before implementing some asinine plan or procedure?

The answers to the above questions are not out of the realm of possibility. It only takes some forethought and concern for those around you.

Am I doomed to be repeatedly disappointed?

Unfortunately, I think I am...

No comments: