Friday, August 22, 2008

Selfishly Unselfish

At first glance, today's title seems to be an oxymoron. But I believe that my parents exhibit that attribute every waking moment. Today's blog is a tribute to them. I am 100% sure that I would not be the person I am today without their guidance and influence while growing up.

One of the most outstanding characteristics that they both share (and they have many!) is that they are very unselfish people. They would give away their last crumb of bread if someone else needed it worse than they did. Mom has always short-changed herself in food, clothes, and other activities to make sure her family was well-fed, clothed, and happy. Their well being was more important to her. Not many of today's mothers can make that claim. Dad never says "no" to anyone. Anytime anyone needs help, Dad is there to lend a hand no matter how much of an inconvenience it is to him.

My parents also argue all the time. But it's not the normal "spat" between married couples. No, not at all. The topic of their disagreements? Who will do for the other before the other can do it for him/herself. Yes, you read correctly. They disagree on who will take care of the other's needs faster. One example happened last night. Mom accidentally spilled some water on the chair. Before she could return with a dry cloth, Dad had pushed his supper aside and was already cleaning up the spill. He took the towel from her hands and proceeded to finish the job. Their "spat" went something like this:

Mom: "Why are you doing that? I can do it myself. Finish your supper."

Dad: "You would break your neck to get over here if I had spilled something. Sit your tail down and I will handle the cleanup."

Mom: "But you need to finish eating."

Dad: "I will finish wiping up the water first!"

That was the extent of their spat. They have "argued" like that for as long as I can remember. Wouldn't it be a better world if parents took lessons from my parents? I think children would grow up feeling loved and a lot more secure. I know I did.

Don't get me wrong. My parents aren't perfect. But they have always shown me that demonstrative love that went both ways and that love was instrumental in making me who I am. In short, the world needs more selfishly unselfish people.

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

That is so Mom and Dad....and I agree with every word. If I am half the person they are, then I will be doing alright. :)