Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Franks Pet Tribute

Pets. Where would we be without them? They never give us any lip, listen to our gripes, celebrate our victories with us (although usually involuntarily), are always there for us whenever we need them, and generally supply us with a lot of loving. All they ask for in return is good, a place to sleep, and some tender loving care. How anyone can, in the very least, neglect one and, at the absolute worst, outright abuse one is beyond me. They don't deserve the love they receive. The actually need to be chained and whipped themselves.

Over the years, my family has been blessed with several pets. They have each in their own way contributed to our overall joy and happiness. Without further ado, here is the Franks Family Pet Tribute.

Bootsie, Bam-Bam, and Buffy--Y'all never complained about living in that little pen under the locust tree. Thanks for making our young childhood fun.

Scooter--You were the cutest Scottish Terrier. I remember when you first arrived and threw-up on my pillow because you were nervous. I forgave you long ago. You had the sassiest little swing in your rump when you walked.

Tiger--You were the sweetest tom-cat anyone could ever want. You would leave for days and return to your domain a little scruffy at times, but you always remained the same and never let life make you bitter.

Effie--You were the bluest cat I have ever seen. No one has ever been able to spread their back legs as you could while cleaning yourself.

Brenda--You were a bit different, but still lovable. I will never forget the night you came to Mom's Tupperware party through the window screen. What an exciting time you caused!

Sabrina--I never knew a more patient soul than you. What all you endured from Kellie feeding you with a baby bottle and pushing you around in a doll carriage dressed in the doll's clothes will never be felt by another cat. It's no wonder you ended up with a nervous condition. But believe me, you were very loved!

Monique and Bonkers--You two were the cutest black and white kitties. It's a shame that your lives were too soon cut short. If only you had learned that car tires are not the place to rest.

Smokey--You were the fluffiest gray/silver cat I have ever seen. I will never forget the time I tricked you into thinking I was a very large cat with a too small Halloween costume! Your fur looked as if you had been electrocuted.

Spunky--You were the dickens to raise! Maybe you should have been named "Mungojerrie." Even after pulling toilet paper all over the house and constantly splashing water out of your bowl, you were the love of Mom's heart.

And finally, but by no means, the least...

Misty--You were mine. I will never forget the day I took you home from the farm when you were ready to leave your mom Twinkle. I caught you behind the propane tank and all of you was contained in the palm of my hand. All that night, you cried every time you were scared and didn't quiet down until someone came to reassure you. As you grew, you would ride in my robe pockets just like you belonged there. You kept me company as I slept and would attach yourself to my lap whenever you wanted (Sometimes I thought you had suckers under your fur). The night you died was very hard for me. But I knew that you were not suffering any longer. I still miss you.



Now if Mom would just let me have a hamster or a ferret! :-)

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Kellie said...

That is so odd that you wrote about all of our pets the night Ashes went downhill. Oh, the memories. They are good.

And, yes, Sabrina was VERY LOVED.

Pearl said...

Hi Kevin... I found you via Kellie's blog... love your writing style! I didn't see a space to cast a vote in, but had there been one, I'd go for a ferret...

~blessings~
Pearl