Sunday, June 22, 2008

Home Again

I have just returned from a week in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. I haven't been to the mountains very many times and never for this long. Can I say WOW?? It was absolutely wonderful. We covered pretty much all of them except for the extreme southern mountains and the northern Tennessee mountains. We spent the first two nights in Townsend, TN and went to Cades Cove on Sunday to ride horses and view the vistas of the Cove. It was absolutely beautiful. My horse wanted to lag behind everyone. During one part of the trip, the guide had to separate Mikayla's and Wesley's horses because they couldn't get along. When that happened, my reins fell and I couldn't reach them without the possibility of falling off and landing face first in the mud. Not a pleasant thought. The guide was very happy to hand me the reins!

On Monday, we went to Dollywood and had a nice time there. Mom drove like a "Hell Driver" in the Rockin' Roadway. HAHAHAHAHA Tuesday found us on a train ride from Bryson City to the Nantahala River Gorge. The scenery along the way was absolutely gorgeous. We also took a trip to the Fontana Dam. On Wednesday, we went to Cherokee and stayed there all day. It was very nice seeing how they lived in the 1700s and to see their history. Unto These Hills was very nice and I enjoyed seeing that immensely.

One of the most interesting things I learned on the trip was that the Cherokee language has no word for "good-bye." They use a phrase like "we will see each other again." There are also no curse words in their language. They never developed those words and preferred to stay in peace and harmony with those around them. Compare that to English. Who's the savage?

Thursday morning shone bright on Biltmore. What a house!!!!! We walked around the house and grounds all day long. I am pretty sure I could get used to living there! HAHAHA On Friday, we went mining for gems and visited the Mast General Store in Valle Crucis and Blowing Rock. I have several uncut gems now that I will have cut later, including topaz, emerald, tiger's eye, rubies, and tourmaline. The Mast General Store was amazing. It's over 120 years old and has everything!

As with all good things, the vacation came to a quick end on Saturday. Before we left, we visited the Ashe County Cheese Factory in West Jefferson. Of course, we had to get some cheese and butter. Both are very good!! Tomorrow will be a new work day. I am trying to fight off the depression now! HAHAHAHA

I hope everyone has a blessed day.

No comments: