Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Listening

Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do when people don't listen? I'm not talking about general hearing but honest-to-goodness listening. Actually comprehending what one person is trying to communicate to another. I experience the lack of listening several times during my daily life. At work, I have a co-worker that tries to start talking over me before I even finish explaining or telling what I need to tell. She tries to explain something or make an excuse for something instead of listening to what I am saying. Another one has to be told the same thing several times, over and over again, and then gets upset when I tell her yet again. It makes for a lot of frustration at times. I have come to the conclusion in my time on earth that people just don't really want to listen. They only want to hear, and therefore have a reason or an excuse for just getting by. "I didn't hear you" or "I didn't understand what you said" are very popular excuses.

Don't get me wrong. I know that sometimes, the person talking doesn't make sense and understanding is hard to come by. And for us auditory people, listening can be difficult in a room full of extraneous noises!! But each time someone is talking to us, we should strive to listen with all of our hearing and give the person talking our undivided attention. Hey, if you get bored with the conversation, just try the "Glassy-eyed Look." The talker will get the message. Some people have perfected it, right Kellie??? ;-)

I hope everyone has a blessed day!!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Yes, I have perfected the "Glassy-Eyed look"... and have passed it down to my son. At least you know when we have absorbed as much as we can with our visual cues. lol

I deal with 24 not listening to me everyday... and then asking again how to do something for the 300th time. Yes, I feel your pain.