Tuesday, June 10, 2008

40

Yes, folks. It's official...I'm no longer 30-something. I have now crossed over the threshold and joined the "Over-the-hill Gang" (at least according to my co-workers). I have been thinking about turning 40 all day and have decided it's not going to be a bad thing. Now when one thinks about the number "40" in life, one thinks of 40 days and 40 nights of rain and 40 years of the Israelites wandering in the wilderness. Those tend to be negative thoughts. But if you really think carefully, God's abundant blessings came after the 40 time period. The waters started receding and drying up while Noah and his family waited to repopulate the cleansed earth and the Israelites crossed over the Jordan River into the Promised Land. I believe that the best part of my life is yet to come. Yes, I will probably feel more pains and aches and not be as spry (if you could have EVER described me as "spry"!) as I used to be, but I've gained a lot in my 40 years. A lot of what, you say? A lot of knowledge, a lot of good memories, a lot of friends, a lot of love and the list can go on and on. With all that I have gained, life will only get better and better until I reach the end.

I'm not saying it will be perfect or that there won't be bumps or hurdles in the road, but God is faithful and He will see me through. For all of you out there groaning and moping about your age, quit going around acting like a mule eating briers. Life is to be enjoyed and relished, so get out there and do it!

1 comment:

Sal Cartusciello said...

A belated Happy Birthday, and welcome to the club. It is not as bad as others make you think. Plus it is better then the alternative.