Thursday, February 4, 2010

Text Speak in the Real World

On the way into work this morning, I hear a radio commercial for a local sandwich shop that prides itself on delivering their orders very quickly. The customer was calling in to place an order and the shop worker was explaining how quickly she could have her sandwich. Both were speaking with initials, i.e. LOL, IDK, ASAP, BLT, for well known English phrases as if they were texting back and forth instead of speaking on the telephone. It was a funny ad and made me think about our customers at the good old call center.

For those of you who aren't tech-speak savvy, techies shorten most of what they say into abbreviations. Here is a short dictionary:
IDK = I don't know
LOL = laugh out loud
TTYL = talk to you later
BRB = be right back
NM = never mind
TMI = too much information
HRU = how are you
TNX = thanks

I was thinking that my day and the day of my co-workers would go much more quickly if the customers started using these same abbreviations when they call in with questions and we would respond in like fashion. Below is a typical call during a day in the call center with the new speaking system...

Agent: Thanks for calling CQ! How may I help U?

Customer: HRU?

Agent: Fine, TNX. HRU?

Customer: I'm good. I need a part ordered.

Agent: OK. What's UR CN?

Customer: 1234

Agent: No. That's UR GL. I need UR CN.

Customer: IDK

Agent: I have to have UR CN to order the part.

Customer: OK. JAM. BRB. (Long waiting period)

Agent: (Sigh) (8-|)

Customer: SRY. My number is 5555555555.

Agent: TNX. How may I help U?

Customer: I need a CYL HON345A

Agent: SS, we are out.

Customer: OIC. Does NE1 have it?

Agent: No. It is a SPO.

Customer: How long?

Agent: Do you want it NDA, SDA, GRD?

Customer: GRD

Agent: 2-3 days.

Customer: OK. Please SPO it for me.

Agent: OK.

Customer: TNX for UR help.

Agent: YW. TNX for calling CQ.

Customer: TTYL

Now, I think that would speed up the process (except for all the time we have to wait for the customer to come up with his CN or any other information we need. But that's another blog entry!). But then again, there would need to be a very large dictionary and a language class for everyone to be fluent in text speak. Hmmm... What do you think?

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I am totally confused after reading that. LOL!!! (ha!)