Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eŋglish Alfabet

One of my many interests is languages. I love to see how related ones are different and the same. I love to see how other languages influence a language. I find everything about them so fascinating.

It's amazing to me how much English as changed since the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons first came to what is now England. The British Isles were populated by Celts before the arrival of those tribes. The language of those Germanic tribes became Old English and is considered a foreign language for modern English speakers rather than a descendant. The influences from the languages of the Celts, Norsemen, and finally the Normans radically altered Old English over time to what is now Modern English.

With that bit of history in mind, I have thought over the years about how to make English more "English". My proposal is to change the alphabet to more correctly reflect the modern language and at the same time take away some redundancies found in the corresponding alphabet. Now mind you, I am no linguist nor have I ever taken a course in language other than a few Spanish and German classes. And I do admit that there are some unresolved issues, i.e. vowels, with my list. However, I feel that this change would benefit everybody in the long run. So without further ramblings, I give you my new and "improved" English alphabet.

Aa-pronounced in all ways as the current "A"
Bb
Cc-pronounced like the current "CH". Letter name would be "chee".
Dd
Ee-pronounced in all ways as the current "E" and keeping the silent "E"
Ff-pronounced like the current "F" and taking over for "PH". Examples: elefant, fantom, fase
Gg-hard sound only as in "girl". Letter name would be "gee", not "jee"
Hh-no silent "H"
Ii-pronounced in all ways as the current "I"
Jj-pronounced like the current "J" and taking over the soft "G". Examples: jiraf, jerbil, genuflekt
Kk-pronounced like the current "K" and taking over the hard "C". Examples: kat, kut, kurtin
Ll
Mm
Nn
Ŋŋ-pronounced like the "NG" in "sing". Examples: siŋ, fiŋger, riŋ. Letter name would be "eŋ".
Oo-pronounced in all ways as the current "O"
Pp
Rr
Ss-pronounced always as the soft "S", never like "Z" or "ZH"
SHsh-pronounced like the current "SH" acting as one letter, not two. Letter name would be "esh".
Tt
THth-pronounced like the voiceless "TH" in "thick" acting as one letter, not two. Letter name would be "eth".
Þþ-pronounced like the voiced "TH" in "this" Examples: þis, þer, þey. Letter name would be "þee".
Uu-pronounced in all ways like the current "U"
Vv-pronounced like the current hard "V", never like "F"
Ww
Yy-pronounced like the current "Y" and still sometimes a vowel. Inserted in places where now pronounced as in "cute" Examples: kyut, pyuk, Kyuba
Zz-pronounced like the current "Z", never like "S" or "ZH"
ZHzh-not found in many words, but the need is still there, ie plezhur. Letter name would be "zhee".

Well, there it is. My "new and improved" Eŋglish Alfabet.

Notice the absence of "Q" and "X". Redundancies that are not needed. Examples: kwik, kween, zylafone, taks

Disagreements?

Opinions?

Should I forward this alphabet to Congress and the President? Do you think it would be voted on this year??

Let me hear what you think!

PS I chose not to write this blog with my new alphabet because I want people to get used to the idea first and actually understand what I am writing without getting a headache!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Although it is phonetically nice, it would destroy every desire of our correct spelling these days. What would I do with my Phonics sheets I use for my students? lol

Only you, Kev....