Monday, November 8, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now??

This slogan for a national cell phone company has been caught up into the everyday English language for usage as quips and funnies during times of being around friends. But there is a grain of truth to that statement. Case in point is what happened today at work. While I was filing the paperwork away at the end of the day, a co-worker asked me a question.

I had my back to her, and she was facing slightly away from me when she asked, "Kevin, have you ever heard of Allman Brothers?"

I responded, "Yes, I have. One of them married Cher."

"What?"

"I said that one of them was married to Cher" (And I was just getting ready to impress them by bringing up a nugget of trivia from my vast collection of facts [or empty knowledge?] and tell them that he was the father of her son, Elijah Blue.)

At this time, another co-worker let out a cackle under her breath.

"No, have you never heard of almond butter?"

"Oh!! Sorry, I thought you said Allman Brothers!"

The cackle gradually became louder.

"I know who Greg Allman was. I was asking about almond butter at Fresh Market."

At that revelation, I smiled. What else could I do? A case of what I thought I heard was as far from reality as me winning the Boston Marathon and coming in just under 1 hour and 26.53 minutes.

How many times have you responded to a question or statement only to find out that what you thought you heard was not reality? Unfortunately, it's a very prevalent occurrence between parties of people all over the world. One doesn't quite speak clearly; the other doesn't quite pay attention.

But it does make for some hilarity among all parties involved, huh?

Can you hear me now?

1 comment:

Kellie said...

LOL.... that was GOOD!! :)