Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Imagine

In 1971, John Lennon released the single "Imagine". It has become his most famous post-Beatles single and a rock classic. The lyrics are familiar to many people and it has continued to be covered my artists throughout the years. When one hears it, it brings feelings of good will, camaraderie, and peace. But upon closer inspection, the words end up being a delusional pipe dream that are not based on any kind of reality nor will they ever come true. The reason is that God has been totally removed from all aspects of this "peace". God is the only true source of peace and it will never occur until Christ reigns forevermore upon establishing His kingdom on Earth.

The first words, "imagine there's no heaven", set the tone for the whole song. John wanted us to believe that God doesn't exist. He doesn't want a heaven or hell, only sky. If they existed, that would mean there is a choice to be made. All he wants is "people living for today". I believe that he is getting is wish today. People go through life acting as if there is no heaven or hell. They only want to do it their way and have no thought of God. Satan is in full control of this thinking.

Next, he wants a world devoid of countries and religion. With those pesky restraints out of the way, people would have "nothing to kill or die for" and would be "living life in peace". But I disagree. People in the same "religion" and the same country kill each other and die everyday. War and death are part of this present life because of the curse. No releasing of such "boundaries" will cause peace to flood the earth. If anything, it could make things worse.

Lastly, he wants a world with no possessions. No one has anything but everyone has something. Excuse me, but that has been tried over and over again throughout the centuries and that type of living only ends up failing in the end. No matter what the situation, greed and selfishness will override the feelings of "brotherhood".

Yes, John. You were "a dreamer" and certainly "not the only one". I, myself, am also a dreamer. But my mindset is on another plane. I "imagine what it will be like when I walk by [His] side" and "what my eyes will see when [His] face is before me". I "imagine when all I will do is forever worship [Him]" and "to my knees [I will] fall" in awe and wonder of my Righteous God and Glorious Savior.

Now that's something to imagine...

No comments: