Saturday, September 4, 2010

Crying for Relish

For all my devoted fans out there, I am sure you know me well enough by now to know that I strongly dislike when someone doesn't follow the simple instructions in front of them. It's really not that hard to do when they are plainly told to you or written down in plain English. Following instructions makes like simpler and all the complications resulting from not following directions will be avoided.

I reiterated all of that to admit that it happened to me today!!!!!!

YES!!! Kevin didn't follow instructions!!!

Today was another day to can and pickle for the fair and to eat this winter. I had to go purchase some produce such as pears, bell peppers, onions, apples, and green tomatoes. At first, I was just going to pickle the pears. But after a trip to the Farmer's Market where we purchased the peppers, we decided to go ahead with the pepper relish because the red peppers were not so good looking and needed to be processed today. When writing down the list of ingredients I needed, I read that I needed 24 green and 24 red bell peppers to make the relish. And of course, we purchased that amount after digging and digging and digging through boxes to find the best red peppers.

Upon returning home and much to my chagrin, I re-read the recipe and discovered that it called for 24 total red and green peppers, not 24 each!!! Mom rolled her eyes. I heaved a big sigh. Now it looked like I would have to double the recipe. But according to the recipe, it only made 4 pints. I could deal with 8 pints of relish.

No big deal...

Until we started grinding...

And grinding...

And grinding...

By the time we finished grinding the ton of peppers and onions, our eyes were full of tears. Grinding onions makes a lot of sulphuric acid!!! Upon throwing all the ingredients into the pot, we had a very large pot full of ground peppers and onions. Nope...it's going to be waaaaayyyy more than 8 pints.

Total: 22

Did Kevin learn a lesson?

Yes.

Yes, he did.

No comments: