Saturday, December 19, 2009

Traditions 2

Today was another day of Christmas traditions for me. It was my day of making cookies and other goodies. This weekend we are keeping the twins because my sister and brother-in-law are out of town. I thought it was very appropriate for this weekend because I could now have my sous chef to help me bake. Of course, she was all over that idea and was eager to help me.

For this year, I chose to make 3 kinds of cookies--Cranberry-Orange Cookies, Ginger Cookies, and Creamy Cashew Cookies. Since the dough for the Ginger Cookies had to be refrigerated for a while, I made it first and then went on to the Cranberry-Orange recipe after lunch. That recipe is chock full of fruits and nuts and is a definite winner in my book. After those were baked, recipe number 3 was started and finished before moving on to the last batch of thoroughly chilled dough's time in the oven. Each step of the way, I tried to help Mikayla understand the why and how for baking and reading a recipe. In fact, come of her tasks were to run back and forth to the computer to relay the ingredients or instructions back to her uncle. She also measured ingredients, added ingredients, putting sheet pans in the oven, rolled Ginger Cookie dough into balls, and any other task that the "head chef" asked of her. Occasionally, I had a "junior" sous chef who helped with the sheet pans, but he wasn't very interested in the whole process. Besides, sometimes he makes me nervous carrying sheet pans filled with cookie dough! haha I would be having visions of dancing balls of dough instead of sugar plums.

Mikayla was with me for most of the steps but there was the occasional game of Hall Hockey with her brother or a bit of piano practice or any other thing that could possibly distract a 9-year old. Over all she did well and I hope that she was able to learn something from this venture. (I do know that she learned well not to touch a sheet pan straight out of the oven!) After all, traditions can only be continued into the next generation if they are learned from this present generation.

Until next time, anyone want a cookie?

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I tried one and they were fantabulous. I am glad our children enjoyed the time with their "extended" family. The memories will last a lifetime....