Thursday, May 14, 2009

Customer Service

There is always a lot of talk about the lack of customer service these days. We are always being reminded of that at work and how to make the customer happy. We were even required to take a two day class on how to upgrade our customer service skills in order to help change our company to a better one. I personally think it was a waste of time and money, but they didn't ask my opinion.

Everybody concentrates on bad customer service that the reverse, bad customer attitude, falls through the cracks. Being in the customer service industry, I have seen it over and over through the years. Several examples come to mind.

1) Customers enter the store thinking they are the only ones in the world. They can be spotted from the parking lot. They enter and make a beeline to the nearest clerk and demand their attention immediately because they are more important than the clerk helping someone else. Another tactic is that they will stare at the clerk that is on the phone with a why-aren't-you-hanging-up-the-phone-to-help-me look. Personally, that look makes me take a little longer answering the telephone person's question.

2) I remember a time in one of the stores where I worked when an irate man charged through the door and aimed for me at the counter. He slammed the alternator he was carrying down on the counter in front of me and demanded his money back. Thankfully, the manager was right beside me and I was able to shrink back, watch the encounter and keep my head on my body. The alternator was supposedly defective and he didn't want another one. Now, I can understand being frustrated at the situation one finds oneself in, but there's no need to come in biting people's heads off and spitting them out for shark chum.

3) Another time, two women came into the store to return a battery (normally a non-returnable item) that they had just bought at another store a few miles away. Their reason for the return? Because we didn't install batteries. Well, excuse us for not being a garage!! We sell parts; we do not install them. First of all, why didn't they ask first? Secondly, when they found out that there would not be an installation at the store, why did they buy it? But no, those questions can't be voiced because that would not be good customer service. But they can come inside with a stupid reason for a return because they are the customer.

4) I have already mentioned being berated over nothing in this post. I do not understand why people think they have the right to talk down to and berate a person that is trying to help them with their situation. It certainly doesn't make the customer service agent want to help him and also garners bad feelings all the way around.

In short, people on both sides of the customer service fence, agent and client, need to realize that good manners, friendly attitudes, and respect will go a long way in fostering a good relationship and will keep a lot of the stress out of helping the public. But then again, I have come to realize that customer service agents will have to bare the brunt of this burden because people today are becoming more and more demanding and are exhibiting less patience and gratitude towards their fellow man.

Until next time, be kind towards your customer service agent. I realize there are some lazy, inconsiderate dopes servicing the public now, but for the most part, we really do want to help you with your problem. Have a little patience and we will do our best to make you happy.

No comments: