Sunday, May 18, 2008

Check Your Mirror Before Leaving Home

OK....Here is another one of my pet peeves--people that walk around as if they just stepped off a runway in New York, Paris, or Milan when, in reality, they look rather comical, hideous, or just down right stupid. Now, I completely understand that my name is not Clinton Kelly, but I don't think I need to be to notice the fashion train wrecks that walk around daily. Two instances from this weekend prompted this posting. One was from Friday night. We were out and about and I saw this woman wearing sandals. She looked to be a well-dressed lady that took some care about her appearance. But then I noticed her feet...the sandals were like dressed-up flip-flops and were out two inches past her heels! Does anyone not notice how tacky that is when they try them on?? Who wants to wear ill-fitting shoes?? Not to mention a trip hazard. I understand that sandals (flip-flops especially) are hard to find in a perfect fit, but 2 inches??

The next example is a woman Mom and I saw at the Harris Teeter yesterday. She thought she was "tight" but she needs to think again. She had on short-short denims and a tank-top similar to the undershirt variety. She was a petite woman but was definitely not young enough to wear the clothes she was wearing. What really caught our eyes was her makeup. It was all shimmery during the daylight! She had painted on her brows in such a way that she almost had a unibrow (It made me want to reach for my tweezers!). She started each one almost at the corners of each eye, went straight up for a short distance and then had a long, sweeping "brow" that ended what seemed a mile away from the beginning. In addition to that, she also had a shimmery band of color across the lower bridge of her nose as if she had forgotten to blend it in a rush to show the world her gorgeousness. Let's just say that Carmindy would have had a coronary. It was all Mom and I could do not to stare open-mouthed. Sometimes I wonder if people really look into a mirror before they leave their house. Or are they really so blinded by their "stunning beauty" that they fail to see their lack of it?

Which leads me to another point...Aren't we all like that to some degree? We go through our every day lives wearing what we perceive as the latest fashions and accoutrement when in reality we are wearing filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6) when viewed from the eyes of God, the ultimate Fashion Designer (I am in no way using that name irreverently. Can anyone else fashion something out of nothing and create beauty from total ugliness?) Only when we see ourselves as the dirt-caked, rag-wearing sinners we are and take upon ourselves the Lord's righteous garments through the blood of His precious Son can we truly be seen as "in fashion".

Have a blessed day and take one last look in the mirror!

No comments: