Tuesday, April 27, 2010

2+2=4

I don't know about the rest of you out there, but in my own little world, the sum of 2 and 2 is 4. Time tested. Retested. Proven. Logical. But lately, I have noticed many people in the world that seem to lack that same logic. Today at work is a prime example.

Example 1: A certain individual in another state called to get tracking on a particular part. I looked at the paperwork for the order and noticed that it was ordered late in the afternoon last Thursday for second day air. Now logic should play a role here because when one places an order late in the afternoon, it is after the cutoff for shipping and therefore would not ship until the next day. In this case, the next day was Friday. Second day from Friday is Tuesday (shipping time, not real time!). I called him to explain that little timing issue and he was a bit ticked because I didn't have a tracking number. I explained to him that the part would be delivered today because today was the second day and that if he had wanted it Monday, it should have been ordered next day air. He still insisted on a tracking number.

Rolling my eyes, I hung up the phone and proceeded with a few more important demands cluttering my desk before getting his tracking number. Lo and behold! What did I find?? The package was out for delivery today! Isn't that amazing how that works??? I called him back to inform him of the package's imminent arrival and he explained (kind of sheepishly) that he wanted to show his customer some proof. Why? Did he think that because his logic was very faulty, that the customer's logic would be faulty too? Hmmm....scratch that question. Too obvious.

Example 2: Another individual called about an engine. He proceeded to tell me that his customer was ordering a regular Chevrolet truck engine but was putting it in a airboat. He knew there would be no warranty from the supplier because it was not being used for the correct application. Sound logic. However, the same individual's logic quickly eroded away to nothing with his next question. He said, "Can you find out how much discount on the price they will give because there will be no warranty?" What??? Why would anyone expect a lower price on an engine just because there is no warranty?? The customer is the one assuming all the responsibility for something that could go wrong when he chose to install it in a totally different application. The price for the engine is the same regardless of the vehicle where it's installed. Eyes rolled again.

As you can well see, the everyday reality of logic seems to be an ancient relict viewed by the outside world through a very narrow opening in the new exhibit at the museum. It's pretty to look at, but they can't quite reach out and grasp it. It's a shame. Logic is very much needed in everyday life. Without it, life makes no sense at all.

I wonder what color the sky is in their world...

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Yep.... I see it everyday.