Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mexico

My trip of adventure began late Friday afternoon on October 2. The plane took off for Houston at 5:45 PM and landed without problems. After a short time, I was in the air again heading across the border to Veracruz. I arrived there at 10:52 PM and after getting into the country officially, I gathered my bags and went out to meet Noel. It was so good seeing him in person again after a year of chatting on the computer and texting by phone.

We left the airport and he drove us to his home on Coatepec, which is a little over an hour away. He had a sandwich, chips, and water for me and I ate it on the way. When we arrived home, we went to his room with my bags and he told me he wanted tostadas. We went to his next door neighbor's house and she made 3 tostadas for us and we ate them around 1 AM! They were the best tostadas I have ever eaten!! After stuffing our guts, we slept soundly through the night.

Saturday morning found us sleeping in a little, but once we started moving, we went shopping at a local mall and just hung out for the rest of the day. We ended the day by watching the new Bruce Willis movie (not that good!) and eating arracheras. What a wonderfully glorious way to end a day. Arracheras are the BEST!!!

On Sunday, we went to Naolinco which is about an hours drive from Xalapa. That town makes leather goods from most any kind of leather and is a nice place to buy leather products for less. Mom told me she wanted another pocketbook, and I found one made from sheep leather for her. We also ate at our normal Naolinqueño eating place--Doña Josefinas. That places serves up a twist on a chile relleno that is excellent! The cecina is also quite tasty.

Monday was our last day in Coatepec/Xalapa. Noel packed his baggage and around noon, his dad took us to the bus station to take a shuttle to the airport. Since Noel absolutely hates to be late or in a rush, we arrived to the airport about 3 hours before our flight departed. I read a book while we waited. When the time came, we left Veracruz behind and flew to Cancún with no problems. We arrived there around 7 PM and Noel's friend picked us up at the airport. We stayed with him to save on the hotel expense. It was very nice of him to let us stay there! We settled in and went to sleep knowing that our adventure would begin the next day...

No comments: