Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hitting the Ground Running

Well, I have returned to blogland. It has been a busy past few days. I will tell you all about my trip in the next few entries. For now, I will cover the past few days...

I left Cancún at 11:25 AM Sunday and flew to Miami International Airport. It was the shortest international flight I have ever made! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Cuba because I was on the left side of the plane! (I know that most people could care less, but I wanted to see it!!!) All I saw was blue ocean, clouds, and one lone ship.

I arrived into Miami with no problems and proceeded to make my way to Customs. For anyone who's been to Miami International Airport on an international flight, I am sure you can relate strongly to my experience! Why in the world is the re-entry/customs area so far away from where the plane unloads??? It took me a good 15 minutes to arrive to the area of re-entry and I was walking at a good clip. After being let back in the country, I walked to baggage claim to claim my luggage (I hate this part of the trip!) and waited in a long line to go through customs. There were people there from all over--Peru, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Cuba, and of course, Mexico. The Customs lady was genial and after making my way past her, I tried to make my way through the maze of rechecking my baggage. They have spots on the floor to follow that end up going no where! After rechecking, I went to my departure gate and read a book until the flight time. I was so thankful that I had a 2 1/2 hour layover because it took me an hour to navigate all the stops needed in order to return home.

My flight arrived in RDU at 6:35 PM and when I deplaned, I felt as if I was still in another city. The new terminal at RDU is amazing! I just kept looking and looking while walking to the other end. I couldn't believe I was in the same place where I used to work. (But then again, I guess I really wasn't at the same place!)

My family found me going down to baggage claim and followed me there. They were running a bit late and came in with arms a-waving and feet a-hustling. After what seemed an eternity waiting for the baggage, we came home and immediately began the process of making entries for the fair. My original plan was to be home be mid-afternoon to give me a little more breathing room but that wasn't meant to be. I just had to make the best of the situation at hand.

Kellie, Mom, and the twins had already started on Mikayla's blueberry bread and Wesley's chocolate pound cake. What was left for the evening was the divinity that Mikayla wanted to make. It turned into a sticky flat glob because of the weather. I didn't think we would ever get through messing with it! Isn't October supposed to be the driest month in the North Carolina calender year???? Now I remember why I don't make it often!!

I came home and unpacked after that experience. I certainly wasn't in the mood to start any of my entries so I relaxed a little and went to bed. The alarm buzzed waaaaaayyyyy too early! I proceeded to start the making of my sweet potato pound cake. It was pretty straightforward as cake recipes go and I had it in the oven in good time. The problem arose when I was getting ready for work. Where did the time go? I looked at the clock and realized it was already 7:25 and I wasn't quite ready to go! I normally leave at 7:20! I put my rear in high gear and screeched my way into work on time (OK, OK...it was a tad past 8!)

With special permission from my manager, I was able to leave early and arrived home to start the process all over again. I toasted sesame seeds, made blondies and bittersweet brownies, and then quickly swallowed come of the Colonel's chicken before heading back down to Kellie's to finish their entries.

When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Kellie had already made her coconut-cashew brittle and it was cooling on the table. And believe me, I didn't feel like yesterday's newspaper that she had just thrown out in the trash. I was very proud!! (I told you you could do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

We immediately began making Mikayla's dark chocolate brownies and then moved on to Kellie's blueberry muffins and Wesley's honey muffins...all while watching Dancing with the Stars. Who knew one could keep an eye on the baking process and enjoy a good Charleston at the same time! Both muffins and the brownies turned out wonderfully. I think this will be Wesley's year to win a ribbon on his honey muffins. He has tried for 3 years and these are very tasty!

We finally left Kellie's house a little after 9 PM and returned home to start again with my entries. I make apricot nut bread and Jamaican banana bread and put them in the oven at the same time!I didn't have all night to wait for them to bake separately! While they were baking, Mom was working the clean-up crew, Dad was preparing the entry plates, and I started my sesame brittle. The syrup reached the hard crack stage before I realized it and I almost burned it, but luckily, I had everything ready and poured the hot confection out to cool on the baking sheet. By the time I took the breads out and make the topping for the banana bread, it was close to midnight! I was too pooped to pop and went to bed.

The alarm buzzed again and I was up making biscuits before getting ready for work. The kitchen looked like a storm had blown through it, but at least I was finally finished with all the entries!! Kellie breezed in on her way to school to drop off their entries and Mom and Dad took them all, including my produce entries, to the fairgrounds before noon.

WWWWWHHHHHHEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

I finished them on time! What a relief!

Tomorrow, I plan to start telling about my adventures in Cancún.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Yeah, we're still recovering from our ordeal. LOL By the time we get "rested" it will be time to spend the whole day at the fair! HA! Glad you were proud of me.... :)