Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pearls and Gold

I read something in a book the other day that made me really stop and think. It was an idea that had never occurred to me at all. When Christians talk about going to heaven, one of the first things that is mentioned are the streets of gold and gates of pearl. I always thought that it was literal, and it may very well be, but I now also believe that it was used figuratively to show us another facet of God's character.

A pearl is the only precious gem that is made by causing pain and suffering and in the end, it causes death. When a grain of sand or other irritant enters the cavity of a living mollusk, the animal immediately begins secreting nacre and surrounds the irritant layer by layer until a pearl is formed. When the pearl is ready to harvest, the animal dies.

Jesus is our Pearl. He obediently and willingly went through the pain and suffering of the cross and became a "Pearl of great price" when he died and rose from the grave after three days. The reason God will have gates of pearl in heaven is because Jesus is the only way into heaven and the pearl represents His work and accomplishments on our behalf.

The streets of gold are all that most people know about heaven. They talk about what it would be like to walk those streets of gold and see the beauty. But I now also believe that the streets of gold represent all Christians that will be in heaven. Job 23:10 says, "But He knoweth the way that I take: when He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold". When we are all in heaven with our Savior, we will be as gold. We will have been purified by the fires of life and will be a shining part of the Heavenly Kingdom--the streets of gold!

Can you imagine the beauty in Heaven? Now that I understand another side to these images, I believe the beauty of Heaven will be even more wondrous that before! Wow!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Wow... never thought of it that way, Kev! Love this!!