Friday, March 20, 2009

Do It Well

At work, we are very busy since we consolidated into the call center for 11 DCs. I have to keep the POs for a three month period. I have them filed in a way that makes it easy to find a specific order if needed. I have told everyone in the office how they are to be re-filed. I guess that task is too difficult for some people. Earlier this week, I had to go through every file and reorder them by date. It's hard to understand how something so simple could end up so messed up. If the people would have taken the time to do a simple job well, the files wouldn't have needed to be redone. On top of it all, I discovered that all of the POs for the month of February for one of the DCs was missing. Who knows where they went?

To me, it seems like most of the people today want to do things halfway instead of doing a good job the first time. As long as it is "OK" they are satisfied. What happened to doing the job well from the very beginning?? I realize that we will not excel in every endeavor, but at least give it your all while you are doing it.

A little job is just as important as a big job. If one doesn't take the responsibility to handle a small job well, then he or she can't really be trusted to handle a large job. How one handles a little insignificant task speaks volumes of one's character. I remember reading a short story for Literature in Jr. High. The gist of the story was that a lady hired a boy to work in her yard. She told him she would pay him according to his work but that she would never give him $5 because no one did a $5 job. He was determined to prove her wrong and worked extra hard to do so. He trimmed shrubs, mowed the lawn, cleaned up limbs and trash, and even pounded down dirt piles. After he was finished, she gave him the $5 because he had done the job well. More people today need to take a lesson from that boy. One should do the job well just for the job's sake and not for anything in return. The rewards will be returned several times over.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

PREACH ON, my brother!! I know you are hearing the statement we heard all of our lives in the back of your mind... lol