Sunday, December 21, 2008

Consolidation

I guess every company goes through a time of cutting back and finding ways to streamline production. Now it's my company's turn. As of Wednesday last week, we are now the "proud" center for, not just our local DC, but another one from another state. And in the coming months, more and more DCs will be turning their customer service over to us. I find myself in the less than enviable position of being the only special order person for what will be a total of 12 DCs. Will I crash and burn? No, I don't believe I will, but it will not be easy at times, especially during the peak season. Can I get a "yee haa!"?

So far, the consolidating process has been relatively calm and without too much hassle, but then again, it's the slow time of the year. Naturally, the people that think up such grandiose plans for change and growth are never the ones that experience the growing pains. They have never worked in the customer service department and have no clue has to what it actually takes to be successful with each customer.

That being said, there are several areas that are not without their problems. One is how to use the online special order system. When the system was created, it was made to be used by each DC for their own customers. There is no way to order for all the DCs only from one local DC except by using the "back door" that the system support created for their own needs. It's a hassle because I will have to keep closing down the windows and resigning back in to a specific DC whenever I have to place an order for them. Brilliant planning, don't you think? Also, we have to email/fax any paperwork back to the original DC at the end of each day so that they will be able to keep up with what their customers are needing and ordering. Makes a lot of sense, right?

Now don't get me wrong. I am very thankful that we are not the ones that are closing down because that would mean I would be out of a job. But it would be better if the Dream Chasers would actually consult the Ditch Diggers before making a drastic change in the way business is operated. Most of the bumps in the road, train wrecks, and stalled cars would have been avoided with a little more consulting of the people that are actually sweating it out in the trenches. But I am just John Q. Worker. I don't have any ideas or opinions. :-)

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Hope it works out, but it sure would be nice if upper management looked at the actual jobs/procedures they were "tweaking" before actually doing the "tweak". :-)