Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fair Entries

This week has been another busy one. In addition to going back to work (deep, deep sadness), I had to finish making this year’s fair entries. The process actually started on Saturday. Kellie and I went to the fairgrounds and turned in my jams/jellies and her picture and scrapbook pages. After a visit to the grocery store, we went back to her house to make the twins’ cakes. Mikayla went first because her layers wouldn’t take as long to bake and did pretty well with the directions when I gave them to her. She learned how to cream butter and sugar, how to measure and sift dry ingredients, how to crack an egg without it exploding all over the kitchen, and how to safely put cake pans in the oven. Her layers turned out beautifully. Wesley was next with his pound cake. He learned the same basic techniques of baking. He still needs to work on keeping the flour in the measuring cup or bowl instead of on the floor and table! HAHAHA

On Monday afternoon, I made my Banana Nut Bread, Zucchini Bread, and Sesame Brittle. I had to make sure those were finished before I went back down to the Fowlers because I would have no time to make them Monday night. After finishing there, I went down and began round two at the Fowler Mansion. Wesley had the night off. Mikayla started off with her Truffles (Yes, she chose Truffles!). She learned how to heat the cream, combine it with the chocolate, and scoop out appropriate-sized balls. When it was time to finish them, she rolled to cooled balls and I coated them with the cocoa to prevent her from getting chocolate-club hands. While rolling the Truffles, she, at times, became absorbed in what was on TV and didn’t quite create a ball of chocolate. HAHA During the time that the Truffles were setting up, she made her Blueberry Bread. It turned out well and I think will be a contender. Kellie made her Macadamia Brittle and I had to coach her in between Mikayla moments. Sometimes I felt as if I was being pulled into two different directions.

Tuesday was back-to-work day. A wide array of items greeted me on my desk that morning. After working my way through the pile, I left on time and went back down to the Fowlers for round 3. This time, I was divided into thirds. Wesley was making his Honey Muffins, Mikayla was making her frosting and then frosting the cake, and Kellie was making her Blueberry Muffins. Mikayla started with the frosting. She measured the ingredients and waited for them to boil. In the meantime, I was helping Wesley with his muffins. He did better with the flour measuring this year. After Mikayla’s frosting had boiled, we added the confectioner’s sugar and beat it until it was spreadable. It took a little longer than I had thought but it finally came out looking like frosting. I then helped her assemble her cake and she frosted most of it. I frosted the sides because I didn’t want the cake to be pushed onto the floor! It didn’t look half bad for a 8-year old that had never done it before. Wesley’s muffins turned out pretty, but I will change the recipe for next time because after this second try, I found that the recipe is seriously flawed. Both times, I had to make last minute adjustments to even get the batter into the pan. While helping Steve and Kellie arrange and tag their entries, I also helped Kellie with her muffins. She did pretty well and almost came across as if she had made them before! HAHAHA After finally finishing with their items, I went back home and made my Buttermilk Brownies in record time. I also plated my entries and made sure everything was tagged correctly.

I woke up early Wednesday morning to make the Buttermilk Biscuits. While making the first batch, I added too much buttermilk and ended up with a gooey mess. I just threw it out and started all over. Of course, that little faux pas put me behind and I was rushing to finish the second batch of biscuits. After getting ready for work, I went outside and picked the jalapeños, habaneros, cowhorn peppers, fish peppers, and okra for the produce entries. I then went off to work. A big thanks goes to Mom for taking all of our entries to the fair for us!! We would have been in a pickle without her!!

Until next time, have a blessed day!!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

First of all... my children are EIGHT... not nine. :)

Secondly, WELCOME to my world every day... being divided into fifty different directions at home and school. You just got a small dose of what I do every day. lol

Face it.. you loved every minute of it and enjoyed our memories. Even my "wide eyed scared I'm going to do something wrong with the recipe", moments. :)